Saturday 27 August 2011

Kutter

This guy started as a fairly standard digital drawing but I wanted his character to read better so I drew over the top and pushed and pulled and simplified until I'd taken out nearly all the detail and caricatured the silhouette (kind of a French comics or animated film style). I use it to show how much more character you can squeeze out of a little simplification and stylization of an initial more realistic concept.


Oh, and I really hate the hands. They were never quite right but I won't fix them because they remind me to work harder on my hands.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome update! The clean lined Kutter is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its great to see the breakdown of the first original illustration. GREAT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys :) A lot of my stuff is so quick to create I don't stop for breakdowns but I'll definitely do more from now on.

    ReplyDelete